October 20, 2020

Dou Dou Bake vs Flakes: Croissant edition

I was searching for cafes to visit during the weekend and instagram popped out with Dou Dou Bake and Flakes serving croissants. So, I was finding for reviews on which cafe has the best croissant but came to no conclusion *laughs* Actually, I'm not really a fan of croissant. Because it's quite messy to eat one as it falls everywhere LOL. But since, I've heard many rave reviews from both cafes, I thought why not give it a try.

As I see on social media people are crazy about Dou Dou Bake and Flakes croissant- some even lined up to wait for almost 2 hours just for croissants so I thought since they are only 8 minutes apart, why not try both? They do pick up and delivery so really, don't have to queue for so long!

Ended up, I saw the breakfast menu in Flakes seem more enticing so I reserved a place in Flakes but pre-ordered croissants from Dou Dou Bake. Classic case of killing 2 birds with one stone hehe

And so we kinda went crazy and spent over RM200 for croissants to try and for our families 🙊 #CMCO does crazy things to you 

Started off with a cold pressed juice to strengthen my immunity during this Covid.

Sinful Breakfast. 
The whole combo was fulfilling and the scrambled eggs was of a perfect runny, soft silky and smooth texture! Plus, the croissant was buttered with peanut butter *Mmmm*

Crabmeat Scrambled Eggs. 
They did not use the frozen crabmeats which I love. The sauce and the ebikko on top and everything was so yummy. I could have this again and again.

The breakfast croissant was very flakey, crunchy on top yet soft, buttery and airy on the inside. We were prepared to eat all the croissants today haha and so we ordered more- this time dessert croissants.

Pistachio Croissant.
Love the pistachio texture as it had a crunch. Inside had some pistachio filling but it wasn't very sweet which I love. 
 
Flakey as usual and messy to eat as like all croissants LOL

We took away the Matcha Croissant.

It had an overwhelming matcha filling in it which made it a bit jelak and it overpowered the pastry. Would love it better with lesser filling.

Next on, Dou Dou Bake croissants. We took away the plain sourdough croissant and the Pain Au Jambon(ham and cheese).


The croissant was also flaky, airy and buttery. It's best if you can heat it up yourself.

Since it was a plain croissant, I added my own butter. Mm so yummy hehe However, I didn't really taste the difference in the sourdough and the normal dough.

The ham and cheese one.

The verdict?

Firstly, I'm not a croissant taster or a professional food reviewer haha. Croissant is just croissant to me *laughs* I mean, not to the extend of spending 2 hours of wait to get myself some croissants. This comparison is solely based on my own taste buds preferability. I find the variety of savoury and sweet croissants in Flakes seem more appealing. The breakfast options in Flakes were ah-ma-zing with their dessert croissant options. Dou Dou Bake on the other hand, had only savoury options for croissants and I heard that their croissants are almost always sold out before noon so I pre-ordered to make sure I get my hands on them(that's a plus point because I couldn't pre-order for Flakes!).

So who won? In terms of texture, both are flaky, buttery, airy inside and good but Flakes was more flakey(now I know why it's called Flakes). But I have to say in terms of variety, I'll go with Flakes because I don't find joy in eating plain croissants. I absolutely enjoyed the croissants with scrambled eggs and sides and the pistachio one rather than a plain and even the ham and cheese was a tad too unflavourful. However, the husband enjoyed the plain croissant from Dou Dou Bake. So really it's up to your taste buds. 2 people can eat the same thing but come to 2 different conclusions. At the end of the day, why not try both and you be the judge!

#asdiplomaticasIcanbe #supportlocalbusiness #wedonthate #supportlokal 

No comments:

Post a Comment