July 30, 2016

I have a hoarding problem

There, after years of finding out the word for it, I finally found it. I have a hoarding problem!

Hoarding is the persistent difficulty discarding or parting with possessions, regardless of their actual value. I would say I have a minor hoarding problem LOL. 

Hoarding is a disorder that may be present on its own or as a symptom of another disorder. Those most often associated with hoarding are obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) or attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Again, I also have minor OCD and ADHD. Maybe they are all connected.

Now, why do I say I have a minor hoarding problem?
It's because I was just spring cleaning my room 2 weeks back and have found out the amount of 'rubbish' I have collected over the years and have refused to throw them away.

For example, these empty boxes that I kept over the years.

As a blogger, sometimes I get packages in the form of beautiful boxes for product reviews and I naturally want to keep them because it's such a waste to throw a beautiful box. Who knows, you may recycle them or if you need a box to wrap presents? 

Yeah, that's what I thought. And as a result, I just kept and kept and kept more empty boxes until my cupboard decided to just explode on me and couldn't stand the weight of so many unnecessary stuffs kept lol

The picture above is only the boxes, I still have so many press releases kit, files and CDs which I am also keeping >.< On top of that, when I receive presents during Christmas, birthdays etc, I keep all those wrapping papers, boxes etc etc. Now I know why my room always have no space LOL

Here are the symptoms and behavior of someone who hoards may exhibit:

-Inability to throw away possessions (check)
-Severe anxiety when attempting to discard items (yes, I was actually quite sad I had to discard most of my empty boxes while spring cleaning)
-Great difficulty categorizing or organizing possessions (check)
-Indecision about what to keep or where to put things (check! I was putting few boxes in a big rubbish bag and then decided maybe I should keep them instead lol)
-Distress, such as feeling overwhelmed or embarrassed by possessions (check)
-Suspicion of other people touching items (check)
-Obsessive thoughts and actions: fear of running out of an item or of needing it in the future; checking the trash for accidentally discarded objects (definitely check)

Oh no!! I exhibit ALL of the symptoms -_____-
Maybe I really have a hoarding problem not just a minor one haha

I was also googling the reasons for hoarding and it seems people hoard because they believe that an item will be useful or valuable in the future. Or they feel it has sentimental value, is unique and irreplaceable, or too big a bargain to throw away. They may also consider an item a reminder that will jog their memory, thinking that without it they won’t remember an important person or event. Or because they can’t decide where something belongs, it’s better just to keep it. WOW! That's so me!

But then again, is hoarding considered collecting 'collectors' item? Google told me that hoarding is not the same as collecting. In general, collectors have a sense of pride about their possessions and they experience joy in displaying and talking about them. They usually keep their collection organized, feel satisfaction when adding to it, and budget their time and money. Those who hoard usually experience embarrassment about their possessions and feel uncomfortable when others see them. They have clutter, often at the expense of livable space, feel sad or ashamed after acquiring additional items. Okay, I mean I do feel ashamed that I am hoarding empty boxes but then again they are really pretty boxes you know with beautiful designs and all.

I think I have this hoarding problem since primary school because I almost always have empty boxes collecting dust either under my bed or just lying in the cupboard. I cannot seem to throw stuffs away and I get very irritated if my mom comes in and cleans away those stuffs that she thinks is not useful.

My mom actually praised me that day while I was spring cleaning my room haha She said it's a good first step to start throwing all those unnecessary stuffs I have been hoarding for the past years. So after 2 hours of spring cleaning, I managed to throw most of the stuffs but I still kept enough to fill up my cupboard til it explodes again in the next year or two HAHA

Baby steps =p

No comments:

Post a Comment