February 1, 2011

Yee Sang

Yee Sang is a Teochew-style raw fish salad. It usually consists of strips of raw fish (most commonly salmon), mixed with shredded vegetables and a variety of sauces and condiments, among other ingredients.


                                                                Yee Sang


However, it can be improvised. Now modernly, it's not really a MUST to have raw fish. You can mix it up. Like my household, we even use steamed prawns =)


Chinese toss the yee sang(the higher the better) with chopsticks for good wishes to come true, longevity, good health, prosperity and any good things you can think of! =)
It's a tradition usually served during the reunion dinner on the eve of Chinese New Year where families come together.


This coming Chinese New Year, to date, I ate yee sang twice already(once in my house and another in college) Then tonight, I'm going to eat again and tomorrow another time for the reunion dinner LOLZ


I have never eaten so much yee sang in my life and it's not even CNY yet *laughs*


Honestly, I'm not really a fan of yee sang. First of, I don't even know most of the dishes served in the yee sang as it has a variety of different things and colours!


But I eat because people around me eat it and it's tradition! *laughs*  Eating small portion of it won't harm so might as well join in the fun! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment