October 28, 2010

Scams

There's been a lot of scams around lately. Like where you scratch and win Rm50,000, your phone number got picked to win RM10,000, you're the lucky visitor of a certain site and will win some luxurious goods and sort of crap!

                                                       Never ever believe these things!

I still don't understand why some people still get into this kind of trap? Can't you see it's too good to be true? When some things are too good, chances are it's not true and there's a catch. These are when people start asking your account number and password so that they can bank in the so called thousands of ringgit or when people ask you to put a down payment of RM10,000 for service tax or whatever.


I have never believed in this kind of shams. Whenever I see this kind of e-mails or sms-es, I would delete them without a blink of an eye. But sending stuffs to me is fine, I can just throw them away. The scary part is when those scam people start waiting for you on the roadside and start to harass you.

I encountered this situation once. I was walking towards my college when this guy came and approach me with a pamphlet. I immediately shook my head and said no, I don't want it. But he kept persisting. He said just take only. Since he was so annoying, fine I took it. I thought by taking it, he'll go away and I'll just throw the paper somewhere.

But it turned out I was suppose to open the envelope and see whether I won anything or not. I'm like, 'No, I don't want'. He said, 'Do only. What is there to loose?' Gee, so I opened it and there it was written I won some goods. I think I won some electrical goods like a fridge or oven if I'm not mistaken.

SUDDENLY, he shouted like a crazy fellow. He said, 'OMG! OMG! OMG! I WON.. I WON.. I WON! He said I was the first person this day to win something. I'm like shocked by his shouting and I wasn't even happy. I knew from the beginning it was a scam. So while he was still shouting and telling me I have to go to Kelana Jaya to collect the goods and that it's real after showing me some newspaper cuttings to validate saying other people have gotten it FREE too, I, on the other hand, was thinking how am I going to get my way out of this.

He was already saying come let's get a taxi and go to Kelana Jaya now. I'm like, 'Are you freaking serious??' I have a class to get to. Luckily, I saw my friend heading towards college too. I mouthed him, 'Help me!' So he saved me and told the person, 'Eh, got class la. We have to get to class now!' I gave the envelope back to the guy and ran away with my friend.

My gosh! Luckily, or else I really don't know what to do. That stupid guy was harassing me like crazy. I told him I didn't want the gift but he insisted that was my lucky day -.-

Actually I never should have taken the envelope. That was my mistake which in turn become a whole drama for that guy. You know when he was shouting everyone were looking at us. I was literally embarrassed! I should have walked away eventhough he kept harassing me. So, morale of the story is that, never take anything from these scammers and never ever believe whatever they say. You will never win any money or goods for free. Good things in life are not free!

No comments:

Post a Comment