September 23, 2010

Mid- autumn festival




Yesterday was the Mid- Autumn Festival. All chinese may have celebrated it with eating mooncakes and playing tanglungs under the full moon.

Mooncakes earned their popularity during the Yuan Dynasty when legends say, the Mongols who had established the Yuan Dynasty were too oppressive, and were overthrown by the Chinese with the help of this simple dessert. Since Mongols did not eat mooncakes, the Chinese took advantage of this cultural difference and planned a revolt against them. Leaders of the revolts distributed mooncakes, under the pretense of celebrating the emperor's longevity, to other Chinese people. The mooncakes held secret messages baked within the skin, informing people to revolt on the 15th of the 8th moon, also the Mid Autumn festival. The rebellion was successful and mooncakes were forever kept a national tradition of China.



The mooncake is traditionally made in the shape of a full moon, symbolizing union and perfection, is usually about the size of a doughnut, and is stuffed with a variety of fillings such as bean paste, egg yolk, lotus seeds, dates, pineapple, walnuts, almonds, and sesame.


I don't know the origins of playing tanglungs but normally during this festival smalls kids will be excited to play their colourful and all kinds of shapes tanglungs. When I was small I used to play it with my family but now that we're all young adults I only sometimes play it with my young cousins or rather they play and I supervise coz of the candles *laughs*



I'm also not a fan of mooncakes and right till yesterday I think I only took one piece of the lotus mooncake. It's too sweet for my taste and besides, mooncake has come up with so many flavours that I'm not used to LOL Though, I did see the full moon and it was very beautiful. It was perfectly round and brightly lit in the dark sky.


I didn't celebrate the Mid-Autumn festival but I hope you had fun celebrating it =)

No comments:

Post a Comment