April 12, 2011

Mistaken identity

Have you ever been mistaken for someone else before? I'm sure many have encountered different situations of mistaken identity...I am definitely no stranger to mistaken identity =p


Mistaken identity #1: I am a Malay!
Seriously, that's the top of my list! For some unknown reasons, I always get mistaken that I'm a Malay. Just yesterday, this Islamic group(I repeat Islamic group!) promoting some thing for Malay students approached me but luckily he has a decency to ask whether am I a Malay or Chinese -.-
But seriously, do I look like a Malay? I know I am tan and darker than most Chinese but I don't think I look like a Malay. Besides, I definitely do not dress like one!

And one more but very rarely I get people thinking I'm from Sarawak like those Bidayuh or Bajau people coz of my tan look. Erm, my hometown is in Sarawak but I was born from two pure Chinese parents! So I guess, I should start using loads of whitening products from now on! =p

Mistaken identity #2: I am a Chinese and therefore MUST be able to speak all Chinese languages!
This one I'm most fed up with...Chinese English speaking strangers when they see me, will immediately talk to me in Mandarin if they want to ask for directions. I repeat, I do NOT know how to speak fluent Mandarin especially not in telling people directions. But do I look like someone who DOESN'T know how to speak English? I already look like a Malay so there's some chance I'm not that typical Chinese LOL

But of course those sales girls, hairstylists and strangers who don't know how to speak English will definitely talk to me in Chinese. Then, I don't know how to answer back. I will apologetically say, 'Woa pu hui chiang hwa yu' (I don't know how to speak Mandarin) ironically saying that in Mandarin *laughs*

But yeah if simple ones, I'll answer back in a one liner and pray they don't talk to me any longer!
Now, I feel I better be mistaken for a Malay so that at least when they speak BM I can answer back LOL

Mistaken identity #3: I have seen you somewhere!
Err...definitely not, coz I have never seen YOU! Haha my mom said I have a familiar face. But I actually do not think so. Oh well, perhaps they DID see me somewhere *laughs*

But yeah if I don't get into trouble(like the picture above where the wrong girl got arrested) then I guess I'm fine being mistaken once in awhile =p

No comments:

Post a Comment